If you are shooting your own images, here are a few suggestions:
Choose the Right Digital Camera
You should use a digital camera when photographing your own work for the site. It will allow you to take unlimited shots, giving you the freedom and opportunity to perfect your images. You will also be able to transfer the images directly to your computer, avoiding scanning fees, hassle and delay. Find a camera that fits within your quality and price requirements.
Experiment with your Lighting
It will be well worth your time and effort once you find the best lighting options. Experiment with indoor/outdoor lighting, different bulb types, angles, etc. until you have found the best option for shooting your art. Dark or washed out images will not be accepted.
Use Neutral, Consistent Backgrounds
Use a neutral color like black, white or gray when possible. Gradients also work very well. Smooth backgrounds work best, sheets or blankets may have wrinkles or creases and using backgrounds like carpets and grass can take attention away from the item you are photographing. You also want to avoid any shiny backgrounds that may cause a glare. Be sure to keep your backgrounds consistent throughout your shoot, having several different backgrounds will have a negative affect on your presentation. Focus on your product and don't clutter with too many items. You can have up to 280 items on your page, so create individual shots of each item whenever possible. You are permitted to upload multiple shots of your products so use this to show color and style options available. Be sure to include lifestyle shots as well. Having a crisp, clear product image is very important.
Image Standards for our Buyers Guide
All ad images must be submitted as 300dpi high-resolution JPG, TIFF or PDF files. We reserve the right to question, make suggestions or deny any image that does not appear to be within these guidelines.
1/9 page and 1/6 page ads:
- Considered smaller ads which should have focus on the image
- 1 single item image preferred, 2 single item images ok, or 1 grouping image with no more than 2 – 3 items maximum
- Image should be clear and in focus with little or no shadow or reflection in the background
- Solid neutral, black, white, gray or gradient backgrounds preferred
- Lifestyle and model shots ok, as long as focus remains on your item(s)
- Logos or text placed on image should not take up more than 10-15% of the image space maximum
- If you prefer to have more text or more room for logos on your image, please upgrade to a larger ad size
- Text on image should be limited and stylized to represent your branding
- Do not repeat any text on image that is included in the copy area of your ad
HALF and FULL page ads:
- Considered larger ads which allow for greater flexibility and freedom to get creative
- HALF and FULL page ads require graphically designed print ready artwork, preferably submitted as a PDF file
- FREE HALF and FULL page template ad designs available
- Custom design services available for an additional charge of $75/hr (average 2 – 4 hrs)